NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
|POSITION: PF||FROM: Florida State||HT: 7-0 3/4||WT: 179|
|BORN: NA||YEAR: Fr.||WING: 7-2 1/4||REACH: NA|
Butler had an impressive freshman season and has the attention of NBA scouts.
The way he moves around the court at 7-1 is beyond impressive. And the fact that he’s a dead-eye 3pt shooter as well only adds to the intrigue.
He’s very thin but agile and coordinated. Many 7-footers are clumbsy or slow but Butler is a fluid athlete who doesn’t look out of place in his frame.
He does a lot of nice things on defense, especially on the perimeter but doesn’t anchor a defense or guard very well in the post. His length is a major factor and alters a lot of shots but in the paint he can be bodied out of the way and isn’t really a center on D. He weighed in at a disappointing 179lbs at the draft combine.
His biggest appeal is his ability to float around the perimeter and stroke the 3-ball. For the season he shot almost 40% from 3pt land and his shot certainly looks nice. It seems like this area of his game will translate well to the NBA, even though he shot a terrible FT % (on only 25 attempts).
- his game reminds a little of Channing Frye but he’s longer and more of an athlete than Frye.
2022 PF Rankings
- Jabari Smith – 6-10 – Auburn
- Paolo Banchero – 6-9 – Duke
- Keegan Murray – 6-8 – Iowa
- Jeremy Sochan – 6-9 – Baylor (England)
- Nikola Jovic – 6-10 – Serbia
- Jake LaRavia – 6-8 – Wake Forest
- E.J. Liddell – 6-7 – Ohio State
- Dominick Barlow – 6-9 – Overtime Elite
- John Butler – 7-1 – Florida State
- Moussa Diabate – 6-10 – Michigan (France)
- Michael Foster – 6-8 – G League Ignite
- Karlo Matkovic – 6-11 – Bosnia
- Patrick Baldwin Jr. – 6-10 – Wisconsin Milwaukee
- David Roddy – 6-5 – Colorado State
- Brady Manek – 6-9 – North Carolina
- Isaiah Mobley – 6-10 – USC
- Babacar Sane – 6-8 – Senegal
- Makur Maker – 7-0 – Australia