NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
A.J. Casey is a skilled combo forward with big time upside. At 6-8 and probably still growing he’s got good size and excellent agility, to go along with awesome athleticism.
His NBA future will depend a lot on how his perimeter game develops, both on offense and being able to guard wings on the defensive end.
Casey has good instincts for the game, which really show up on the defensive end, where he reads the play well, gives good help defense and has good timing as a shot blocker.
He gets a lot of his buckets as a result of his high end athleticism, whether it’s running the floor and getting transition buckets or following up shots and scoring off the offensive glass. And he’s a sensational dunker who plays way above the rim.
He also shows the makings of a turn around jumper, mid range game and the ability to beat his man off the dribble. And he shows promise as an outside shooter with a nice looking release and the ability to hit the step back 3.
- an optimistic comparison would be Paul George
2023 Power Forward Rankings
- Brandon Huntley-Hatfield – 6-9 – Clarksville, TN
- Mark Mitchell – 6-8 – Shawnee Mission, KS
- Adem Bona – 6-9 – Prolific Prep (Turkey)
- Sadraque Nganga – 6-10 – Phoenix, AZ
- Mouhamed Gueye – 6-10 – Prolific Prep
- A.J. Casey – 6-8 – Chicago, IL
- Kijani Wright – 6-8 – Los Angeles, CA
- Mady Traoré – 6-11 – Cumberland, MD (France)
- Henry Coleman – 6-7 – Duke