NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
|POSITION: C||FROM: France||HT: 7-2||WT: 209|
|BORN: 1/5/04||YEAR: 04||WING: 7-8||REACH: NA|
Victor Wembanyama is one of the most intriguing prospects on the NBA horizon, thanks to his sheer size and length. At 7-2+ with a ridiculous 7-8 wingspan he’s rail thin, lanky but super talented. He’s currently eligible for the 2023 NBA Draft but if the NBA changes the age limit (which the commissioner has talked about) then Victor could be draft eligible as soon as 2022.
Victor is multi-talented and stands out on both ends of the floor. On the defensive end he really changes the game with his length in the lane. He’s quick off his feet and covers ground well, making him a lethal weak side shot blocker and someone who alters a ton of shots. This is an area of his game where he clearly knows his role and does a good job of using his length, holding his ground, despite his skinny frame, staying tall and avoiding silly fouls. As he adds strength his interior defense will only improve. He’s also a capable perimeter defender who has unusually quick feet and good lateral agility for a player his size.
On offense Victor has the makings of a versatile package including a picture perfect jumper. He’s got a smooth release and the ability to stretch out to the 3pt line.
He’s actually a very good ball handler considering his size and age and he can create offense on the wing and get his own shot, showing flashes that remind of Kristaps Porzingis but with even more play-making ability.
Victor seems to lock in and take the game seriously and competes at a high level. This is great to see and gives a lot of hope for his future development as a player.
Victor is obviously very skinny and lacking strength. He’ll always have a skinny frame but will surely fill out as he grows up.
There’s not an area of his game that he’s really lacking skill or ability – he just needs to keep refining his skills, decision making and work on his strength/frame.
- a longer, taller and much more talented Skal
- Kristaps Porzingis+
- better Bol Bol (much, much better)
top 3 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft
- Victor Wembanyama – 7-2 – France
- Jalen Duren – 6-10 – Philadelphia, PA
- Dereck Lively – 7-0 – Bellefonte, PA
- Kenneth Lofton Jr. – 6-7 – LA Tech
- Enoch Boakye – 6-10 – Arizona State (Canada)
- Vincent Iwuchukwu – 7-0 – San Antonio, TX
- Yohan Traore – 6-10 – Prolific Prep (France)
- Charles Bediako – 6-11 – Alabama (Canada)
- Bretner Mutombo – 6-9 – Congo
- Oumar Ballo – 6-10 – Arizona (Mali)
- Dilan Anderson – 7-0 – Arizona
- Moussa Cisse – 6-11 – NA (Guinea)
- Mady Sissoko – 6-10 – Michigan State (Mali)
- Jerrell Colbert – 6-10 – LSU
- Will Baker – 7-0 – Nevada
- Ryan Mutombo – 6-11 – Georgetown