NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
|Position: PG SG||FROM: Illinois||HT: 6-5||WT: 194|
|BORN: 1/7/00||YEAR: Jr.||WING: 6–10 1/4||REACH: 8-0 1/2|
A crafty combo guard who has the ball on a string and controls the pace of the game, Ayo has ideal size for the position at 6-5 and is emerging as a big time prospect. One of the best players to come out of Chicago since Jahlil and Jabari.
Ayo is always under control and can orchestrate an offense or take over the game when needed. He excels at taking his man off the bounce and getting into the lane where he can put multiple moves on defenders and shake n bake his way to the rim, or find the open man after collapsing the defense. He gets great width on his crossover dribble and has a lot of wiggle and a quick first step.
Ayo changes speeds well, has a great hesitation move and euro step, especially in transition, allowing the defense to fly by. Although he’s not a big time leaper, he’s very creative with his ability to finish in the lane. He gets his shot up quick to beat the shot blocker or uses an up and under move or reverses the layup to use the rim as protection. Has uncanny finishing ability.
He might not have ideal form on his jumper but he hits shots and also has a quick release. Has good catch and shoot ability and can get hot from the 3 point range.
He’s got vision as a passer and takes advantage and finds the open man whenever the defense gets out of position. Ayo knows when to pound the dribble and when to keep the ball moving.
Dosunmu is a solid defender who gets low in his stance and shows good lateral quickness to stay in front of his man. He’s a good help defender who knows when to show and when to double. Reads passing lanes well.
A versatile player who can guard multiple positions and play on or off the ball on offense.
Has a low release point on his shot and doesn’t get much elevation on his jumper. Needs to extend his range.
He’s a low center of gravity player, more of a below the rim player, which often works in his favor but gives him limited upside as a rebounder and can make it difficult to score at the rim.
Needs to get stronger in both lower and upper body.
- Jrue Holiday
- Reggie Jackson +
late first to mid second round pick in the 2021 NBA Draft
2021 Point Guards
- Cade Cunningham – 6-8 – Oklahoma St.
- Jalen Suggs – 6-4 – Gonzaga
- Josh Giddey – 6-8 – Australia
- Davion Mitchell – 6-2 – Baylor
- Jared Butler – 6-3 – Baylor
- Tre Mann – 6-5 – Florida
- Miles McBride – 6-2 – West Virginia
- Nah’Shon Hyland – 6-3 – VCU
- Sharife Cooper 6-0 – Auburn
- Ayo Dosunmu – 6-5 – Illinois
- Joel Ayayi – 6-5 – Gonzaga
- Rokas Jokubaitis – 6-4 – Lithuania
- Duane Washington Jr. – 6-3 – Ohio State
- Dalano Banton – 6-9 – Nebraska
- Daishon Nix – 6-4 – G League
- David Johnson – 6-5 – Louisville
- Jason Preston – 6-4 – Ohio
- D.J. Carton – 6-1 – Marquette
- Javonte Smart – 6-4 – LSU
- Mac McClung – 6-2 – Texas Tech