NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
|POSITION: PG||FROM: VCU||HT: 6-3||WT: 175|
|BORN: NA||YEAR: So.||WING: NA||REACH: NA|
Hyland is a lanky, rangy combo guard with a score first mentality. The 6-3 guard from Wilmington, DE is having a breakout sophomore year, shooting the ball at a high clip and shooting up draft boards.
Hyland can really handle the ball and has a nice first step. Combining this with his off the dribble 3pt shooting ability makes him a dangerous offensive weapon (think Lou Williams type of role). He shot over 43% on 3’s as a freshman and is off to a good start this year.
He’s quick into the lane and has blow-by speed, especially going to his left. And he’s a creative finisher around the hoop, hanging in the air and using up and under moves to score the ball. His lanky drives to the hoop remind a little of Dejounte Murray.
At this point he’s more of a scoring point guard and not a pure facilitator.
He’s got great defensive tools and a chance to be a lock down defender, especially as he puts on more weight.
Hyland isn’t on a lot of draft boards at this point but you can expect that to change soon. He looks like a sure-fire draft pick in the next 1 or 2 years.
- Vonteego Cummings
- smaller Jamal Crawford
2021 Point Guard Rankings
- Cade Cunningham – 6-7 – Oklahoma State
- Jalen Suggs – 6-4 – Gonzaga
- Sharife Cooper 6-0 – Auburn
- Daishon Nix – 6-4 – G League
- Ayo Dosunmu – 6-5 – Illinois
- Jared Butler – 6-3 – Baylor
- David Johnson – 6-5 – Louisville
- Nah’Shon Hyland – 6-3 – VCU
- Josh Giddey – 6-8 – Australia
- Tre Mann – 6-4 – Florida
- Miles McBride – 6-2 – West Virginia
- Jason Preston – 6-4 – Ohio
- Rokas Jokubaitis – 6-4 – Lithuania
- Carlos Alocen – 6-4 – Spain
- Joel Ayayi – 6-5 – Gonzaga
- Davion Mitchell – 6-2 – Baylor
- Javonte Smart – 6-4 – LSU
- Quade Green – 6-1 – Washington