NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
Bates-Diop was a high level recruit who took a few years to find his rhythm but put in a great (red-shirt) Junior year at Ohio State, showing an all around game that projects well to the next level. He’s a team first player who does all the dirty work and doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective.
- Versatility on both ends of the floor
- Can guard 3 positions
- Has excellent length, allowing him to guard in the post and defend at the rim, despite not having ideal PF size – an good shot blocker, especially for a 6-7 player
- Well built with good strength
- Shows great anticipation on defense, reading passing lanes, gaining position
- Has developed his three point shot and projects as a guy who can hit the corner three at the next level.
- Operates within the flow of the offense, doesn’t force the issue, does a good job of setting screens and creating space for his teammates
- Lacks ideal height to play in the post at the next level.
- Is a good but not great shooter (from FT and from 3).
- James Posey
late first to mid second round pick