NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
|POSITION: SG||FROM: Purdue||HT: 6-4||WT: 200|
|BORN: 2/13/02||YEAR: So.||WING: NA||REACH: NA|
We throw around the phrase ‘elite athlete’ a lot but Jaden Ivey is truly an elite level athlete. His speed in the open court and the way he explodes into the lane reminds of Ja Morant. Ivey has a gear that most guards don’t have and he has serious blow-by speed.
On the defensive end Ivey is a pesky on the ball defender who really gets after it. He hounds opposing ball handlers and puts constant pressure on the ball. He reads the passing lanes well and gives good help defense. He’s got long arms and very quick hands and can guard either guard position thanks to his great speed.
On the offensive end he’s at his best taking the ball into the lane and using his quickness, leaping ability and length to score in the paint. He’s got awesome hang-time and is a nasty dunker.
He’s also become really good at finding shooters after collapsing the defense and shows some lead guard abilities. He can score pretty much at will but plays an unselfish game and is at his best when surrounded by shooters.
Ivey is a much improved 3pt shooter (up to 36%) and has now become a real 3 level scorer. His shot looks good (shoots it kind of like Ja Morant) and he’ll just need to get a little more consistent and more efficient to be considered a knockdown shooter. He’s also a big shot taker who doesn’t back down from the big moments and wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line.
After a solid freshmen season Ivey has become a star in year two and looks like a lock to get drafted in the top 5 of the 2022 draft.
- burst and speed like Ja Morant
- shades of Dwyane Wade
- a much, much, much better version of Josh Richardson
top 4 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft
2022 SG Rankings
- Shaedon Sharpe – 6-6 – Kentucky (Canada)
- Jaden Ivey – 6-4 – Purdue
- Benedict Mathurin – 6-6 – Arizona
- Johnny Davis – 6-5 – Wisconsin
- Malaki Branham – 6-5 – Ohio State
- Dyson Daniels – 6-7 – G League Ignite (Australia)
- Blake Wesley – 6-5 – Notre Dame
- MarJon Beauchamp – 6-6 – G League Ignite
- Jaden Hardy – 6-5 – G League Ignite
- Bryce McGowens – 6-6 – Nebraska
- Max Christie – 6-5 – Michigan State
- Gabriele Procida – 6-7 – Italy
- Terquavion Smith – 6-4 – NC State
- Ryan Rollins – 6-4 – Toledo
- Ochai Agbaji – 6-5 – Kansas
- Trevor Keels – 6-5 – Duke
- Alondes Williams – 6-5 – Wake Forest
- Christian Braun – 6-6 – Kansas
- Caleb Love – 6-3 – UNC
- Kameron McGusty – 6-5 – Miami
- Tevin Brown – 6-5 – Murray State
- Mojave King – 6-5 – Australia
- Michael Devoe – 6-5 – Geogia Tech
- Taevion Kinsey – 6-5 – Marshall
- Allen Flanigan 6-6 – Auburn
- Matteo Spagnolo – 6-4 – Italy
- Ron Harper Jr. – 6-6 – Rutgers
- Adam Flagler – 6-3 – Baylor
- Fedor Zugic – 6-6 – Montenegro
- Justin Moore – 6-4 – Villanova
- Isaiah Wong – 6-4 – Miami
- Josiah James – 6-6 – Tennessee