NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
|POSITION: C||FROM: Duke|
|HT: 7-0||WT: 205|
|BORN: NA||YEAR: HSsr.||WING: 7-4+||REACH: NA|
Duke commit Dereck Lively II is an intriguing center prospect thanks to his great length/size and good mobility. He’s got a good frame with plenty of room to add weight and excellent coordination for his size. He’s a springy 7-footer who flies above the rim and is a force in the paint, despite not having a ton of bulk. His athleticism is special for a player his size.
Lively is a game changer on the defensive end, altering and blocking a ton of shots. He has the quick feet and agility to guard in space and will become an even more impactful defender as he fills out his frame.
His offensive game has really been blossoming over the past year+ and he’s now showing 3pt range on his jumper and an overall nice feel on the offensive end. He’s a pretty good passer for a big, playing with his head up and seeing the court well.
Adding both lower and upper body strength will be key for him as he moves up to the NBA level.
Lively is a high level center prospect but probably a step below being an elite talent. Which raises the question of his value at the NBA level, given the relative lack of value centers have today. Still, Lively is a likely lottery pick in the future with very intriguing abilities.
- Willie Cauley-Stein++
- Tyson Chandler with range
2023 Center Rankings
- Victor Wembanyama – 7-2 – France
- Dereck Lively – 7-0 – Duke
- Yohan Traore – 6-10 – Prolific Prep (France)
- Kenneth Lofton Jr. – 6-7 – LA Tech
- Enoch Boakye – 6-10 – Arizona State (Canada)
- Vincent Iwuchukwu – 7-0 – USC
- Zach Edey – 7-4 – Purdue
- Charles Bediako – 6-11 – Alabama (Canada)
- Bretner Mutombo – 6-9 – Congo
- Oumar Ballo – 6-10 – Arizona (Mali)
- Dilan Anderson – 7-0 – Arizona
- Clifford Omoruyi – 6-11 – Rutgers (Nigeria)
- Moussa Cisse – 6-11 – NA (Guinea)
- Mady Sissoko – 6-10 – Michigan State (Mali)
- Jerrell Colbert – 6-10 – LSU
- Will Baker – 7-0 – Nevada
- Ryan Mutombo – 6-11 – Georgetown